The Governors Centre
Sydney Girls High and Sydney Boys High Schools Joint Building Project
If you would like to make a tax deductible donation to The Governors Centre please go to our payments page or download a Donation Form.
The Governors Centre is a joint initiative of Sydney Girls High School and Sydney
Boys High Schoolto provide a multi-functional building facility comprising a 400 raked seat performance auditorium and an adaptable, multi-functional flat floor examination space accommodating 200 students.
The building will be located in area of the existing Sydney
Girls High tennis court adjacent to the Sydney Boys High/UTS Gym on Cleveland Street.
The Minister for Education has given approval for the project to proceed and the schools have established a representative Project Control Group (PCG) to provide overall control and direction of the development and delivery of the building under the umbrella of the Department of Education and Communities (DEC). The building will be funded solely by the two schools and on completion will be operated by the schools and maintained by the DEC.
GHD is the Project Manager for the design, planning and construction stages of the project and Tanner Denton and Kibble Architects (TKD) is the Head Design team.
A concept design has been developed and endorsed by the school communities, and a Quantity Surveyor has provided an approximate cost. The estimated cost of the building is $10.2m to be shared by the two schools.
Through the ongoing generosity and contributions of past and present SGHS parents and families, old girls and staff, Sydney Girls High has raised $4.8m. A detailed schematic design and development approval (DA) is in the process of being finalised, and we now need to raise a further $300,000.
The Governors Centre will incorporate:
- 400 seat raked auditorium/theatre
- 400 square metre adaptable flat floor learning, meeting and examination space
- an entrance foyer, with a lofted multi-functional space
- kiosk, cloak, toilet, shower, change room and green room facilities
- storage spaces
In addition design considerations will include:
- high levels of natural lighting
- acoustic performance
- durability and maintenance
- best practice Ecologically Sustainable Development
- flexibility across the various spaces and open planned usable areas
- complementary relationship with the heritage elements of the schools